Sunday, January 1, 2012

Yesterday is History. Tomorrow is a Mystery. Today is a Gift... That's Why It is Called the "PRESENT!"

That silly saying from Kung Fu Panda has stuck with me!
I've been dismayed for some time now about how quickly time passes. When I do not set goals to measure my progress and growth, I feel as though I am standing still; and the swoosh in front of my face is my life passing by!

I will be 50 this year, so I've been noticing how much time in mortality I have left. I find myself asking questions like:
  • Have I left behind a legacy of love?
  • Has anyone been affected for the good by anything I have done?
  • How have I used my gifts and talents to bless others?
  • Have I made the best use of the time I have been given?
  • What could I have done better?
  • Have I made the Lord central to it all?
  • What would He want me to do with the future time He will give me?
We went to John and Lisa's church today after ours so we could see them speak in Sacrament Meeting, and help with the kids.

Lisa was amazing! She left me determined and confident that I can succeed in progressing in one more way toward what the Lord has in mind for me. She opened the scriptures to us all about the rich man who came running to the Lord and asked Him what he needed to do to obtain Eternal Life. She pointed out that the Lord looked upon this man who had been obedient all of his life, but who would walk away, with genuine love. She shared some of her soul, and I love her even more because of it!

John's talk was wonderful! I felt throughout it, as he spoke of council from the apostles, that "them that be with me are more than them that be with the adversary." The sense that I will have heavenly help with any righteous goals I attain unto was very real. He reminded us of the message Joseph Smith gave to Brigham Young after his death, "Tell them to be humble and faithful, and to keep the Spirit of the Lord with them always..."

That is simple and clear. Sounds alot like what Pres. Uchtdorf is always saying about simplifying our lives.

Time is precious. I feel very blessed to have been given so much of it. I plan to use that with which I am entrusted more wisely.

No comments: