Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Body Language

I just watched a very interesting program about body language. They took clips from public interviews with politicians, criminals, and others. They also recorded and digitalized micro-expressions to create thousands of examples to study.
Body language includes the posture, movements, facial tension and expression, vocal pitch and rhythm, eye movement, and a myriad of other factors. I found it to be very interesting.

Then, as I often do, I tried to think of a way that this principle relates to a spiritual truth.

Since the eyes are the windows to the soul, I have always understood the connection between the two, but when you now add the entire bodily package, you get a more plush understanding.

The body demonstrates or communicates thoughts and feelings from within. It reveals its secrets outwardly.

Interestingly enough, our actions are outward signs of inward conviction, strength, faith, love, belief, or desire.

Some say it is a right brain / left brain struggle and that the physical side of our intellect adheres itself to the left brain, while the spiritual side of our intellect finds favor and freedom when the right side is dominating. There could be some truth to this. Emotions and the dream state seem to be connected to the spiritual side. Also it is difficult to understand spiritual concepts when we intellectualize them with our mere mortal understanding.

It is during those times when I see or sense things beyond the physical, that I feel the most alive. I love the feelings of enlightenment and expansion! I will try to notice times when my outward actions, or body languange, can communicate the good things I feel within and share that with others.

No comments: