Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Is it a Wonderful Life?


Is it a wonderful life?
At Christmastime and at the beginning of a new year, more than at any other time, I find myself analyzing, introspectively, my life and how I have lived it.
I review the success with which I have lived in harmony with my values and the principles I hold dear. Did I walk the walk or just talk the talk?
I look at my talents, gifts and blessings… how have I consecrated them to the Lord? Have I used them to bless others?
Then, finally, I ask myself the question, “Have I done any good in the world…?”
This is the question that lingers the longest.
I ponder upon that question as it relates to everyone in my life:

•Family: David, children, their spouses, grandchildren, parents, siblings, their spouses, nieces & nephews
•Friends: church, temple, work, neighborhood, school

Have I served them? Have I paid close attention to their expressions or intimations of their thoughts or needs? Have I put them first?

When I fell and shattered my ankle, I was genuinely surprised at the outpouring of love and concern for my condition. The heavens seemed to open as I was drenched with caring and prayers in my behalf. Notes of love and compassion were expressed via. text, e-mail, phone calls, mail, and Facebook. Meals were brought in to help. Movies and magazines were given to help me avoid boredom. A few errands were made even though they were quite inconvenient to do. Rehabilitation equipment was lent to make it easier for me to get around. People came to visit, and the Sacrament was administered in my home.

Most importantly, Dave was so very patient as he cared for my every need. It is an eye-opening experience to see just how much caring goes on when a person cannot do anything for themself.

I dealt with a fair amount of pain and genuine discomfort for several weeks. These weeks seemed like months. With the timing being at Christmastime, there were still several preparations to be made in behalf of the holidays. I learned to let go of the non-essentials.

I had to allow others to make up for my absence at work, in the Temple, and at church. I struggled to get accomplished those things that I could finish for Christmas, and fought to remain coherent through the fog of pain medication.

Throughout all of this, in my amazement at the outpouring of love for me, I began to question, “Why?” Have I really made a difference in so many people’s lives, or am I simply surrounded by amazing people who go out of their ways to serve and care for me?
Have I somehow made an imprint on them such that they are simply responding in kind?

I don’t know the answer to this, but I do know that I am left with a tremendous feeling of gratitude. I am overwhelmed with warm comfort and the desire to do the same for anyone else I see that needs help from me. I am moved to tears at the thought that I am worthy of such expressions of love.

I considered the Jimmy Stewart movie, “It’s a Wonderful Life.”

It is the story of a man who finds himself at the end of his rope, and feels he has nothing to life for. God sends an angel to help. This angel lets the man see what the world would be like if he had not been born. There was a striking difference in the two timelines. The good other people do seems to be a chain reaction. Somewhere along the line, that chain of good works is bound to make a tremendous difference in the lives of others.

Since that chain can be broken at any time, each link becomes enormously important. So, I actually have made a difference in the lives of many people.

Outside my window, the snow is falling. Millions of small snowflakes are consistently falling over the period of days. Each flake is small and seems insignificant; however, when combined with consistency and the sheer volume of others with the same purpose, over a foot of snow has fallen an amazing fulfillment has transformed a lifeless landscape into a winter wonderland.

In the end of the movie, the man is showered with love and help from those whose lives he had touched. This gets him out of his predicament and heals his wounded soul as well.

Similarly, I feel more than my ankle being soothed and healed. I stand all amazed at the love offered me by my fellow children of God. I kneel at the feet of my Lord and thank him with tearful gratitude; not only for the caring of His children, but for the amazing gift of love from His Son. How can I ever be anything but whole?

It truly is a “Wonderful Life!”

No comments: