Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Facing the Veil

My brother Benjamin LaVon Burnett was found dead in February, 2008. He died a few weeks before that in a freak accident on an icy mountain road in the middle of nowhere. Snow and ice covered him and his car which was off the side of the road and out of site. It wasn't until the snow began to melt, and the property owner noticed the wreckage, that he was discovered. He was found beneath the car. Our hearts were relieved to be told that he didn't survive the crash. He didn't suffer. I certainly hope this was true.
I learned a lot about my brother at his funeral. I learned that I was very special to him, that he esteemed me highly. I had no idea.
With him in his car were pictures of his children, his well-worn scriptures, and my personal history which had been well read also; marked and highlighted. Again, I had no idea.
My brother had been hit by a car when he was 7. After that point, he wasn't the same happy boy. He suddenly would write his letters in mirror images. We discovered that he was dysleksic. He had difficulty reading anything -- that is except the scriptures.
In his troubled life, he always tried to do what he thought was right. The problem was that he wasn't always able to discern exactly what that was. He became confused about social and spiritual interpretations of truth. My heart sorrowed for him and his pain and anguish as he struggled.
He had a duplicitous life, however. I learned about so many times that he gave all that he had, and beyond in some cases, to help others in need. The phrase that he would "give the shirt off his back" to help someone seemed to be true.
He was a successful car salesman no matter where he went. It was said that he could immediately tell what kind of person he was talking to and could then direct them to what it was they really needed and how to address those needs. People would return to the car lots and refuse to speak with anyone but my brother, Ben.

His name is Benjamin LaVon Burnett. We called him "Vonnie" when he was young. As a teen, he decided to be called by his first name in honor of his grandfather for whom he was named. This father of my father had a difficult life as well. He was an alcoholic. Upon necessity, he quit drinking - cold turkey - and never touched a drop the rest of his life. Ben admired that and wanted to be of that character.
He then named each of his boys "Benjamin ______." These boys went by their middle names, but carried the tradition of that honor.

My brother was an amazing hunter as well. Following after the learning and skill of our father, he loved the outdoors and reverenced the life therein. When hunting, he and my father would both give thanks for the life which would then feed their families. They have both earned honor for the skill of tracking and bringing home the largest trophies. As our father passed this on to Ben, Ben passed this on to his boys as well.

I have wondered what my brother is doing. I thrill that he is no longer hampered by his chemical imbalance, and the jumble of thoughts which plagued him in mortality. I feel excited that he can think clearly now and move forward. I believe that he is no longer in emotional and spiritual pain.

Just like "It's a Wonderful Life," I hope my life has made a difference in the lives of others. I hope I can live in such a way that my death is simply a continuation of my worship of my Lord and just another step toward the light.

Here are Ben's 7 children and other family members who love him.

No comments: