Monday, August 4, 2008

Cherokee Or Not Cherokee? That Is the Question.


I've been spending some time on the Internet and at the Family History Library downtown searching for my ancestors on Indian rolls, census records, vital statistics records, and everything else I can find.
The fact that my Great-great-great-grandmother was a Cherokee by blood has been told and understood since my mother first found an 1840 census in Illinois stating the fact.

I decided to find the necessary proof to apply for membership in the Cherokee Nation. I must find birth certificates and anything else which tracks the Cherokee blood to me.

One interesting mystery is that this Native American Ancestor, Julia Caine, was either married to a British man or a Creek Indian. I am finding evidence for both!

Sometimes the genealogy researched by others is unreliable; this is another reason why I must find the true documentation.

Serediputously, I have found children in families which had before been empty, and discovered additional marriages. Fun, fun, fun!

To be continued...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I will be interested to see what you find...I love you and thank you for all your hard work!

Carolynn