Monday, May 31, 2010

A Memorial Weekend to Remember...






B-B-Q's, family, friends, cemeteries, new house dreams, and yard work... What's wrong with this picture? Nothing! It was awesome! Even the weather cooperated. It's just that we didn't do anything... well... patriotic. I mean flying the flag is one thing, and visiting graves of loved ones with flowers is another, but nothing "patriotic."

What I mean is, there are those who I love who have served our country, and have seen things no person of gentle heart and kind disposition should see. They have watched friends die in front of them. They have risked life and limb for my minor acknowledgement of the reality of the freedoms preserved by their bravery.

Teddy Roosevelt said, "This country will not be a good place for any of us to live in unless we make it a good place for all of us to live in."

That means I need to DO something!

So... what will I "do?" I have to start in my own little corner.... and hope that little seeds I plant will grow. If it doesn't make a better place for others to live, at least it will be for me. (How's that for egocentricity?)

No comments: