Thursday, June 5, 2014

Creating an Innovative Paradigm - a post for Roots Innovators Group on LinkedIn

The way we see the world is affected by both the physical and the meta-physical realms. Real change of perspective requires concerted effort in both areas.
Jeff DeGraff recently wrote an article called “Innovation Isn’t Change” that I enjoyed: (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jeff-degraff/innovation-isnt-change_b_5432203.html)
I loved his opening point. He said, “Change is moving AWAY from something; innovation is moving TOWARDS something.” This is a subtle, yet profound difference.

Physical Innovation

One physical way I encourage creativity and innovation is through music. As a Music Major at BYU, and playing with “Synthesis” jazz band, I learned about improvisation. You must study and understand the chord structure, and certain basic rules of progression that are not too restrictive. Then, you have to practice, experiment, listen to what others are doing, and be willing to try new ideas.
I call it “doodling.”
Over the years, I have learned to play the various saxophones, the clarinets, the flutes, the piano, and am learning to play the Cello. Most recently, I took a class to learn how to make Native American Flutes. Now, I enjoy “doodling” on them and recording these meandering melodies for posterity.

Once you find your creative outlet, do what it takes to develop that into a talent that can enrich the lives of others, and bring great fulfillment to yourself as well.




This is the first doorway. Opening it actually triggers the path to open a second and potentially more powerful entrance: the Doorway to the Mind.


Meta-physical Innovation
I once heard the great idea to keep a pad of paper and a pen handy near the bedside. Then, when the morning of inspiration comes, or a dream clearly explains a solution to a problem… it is easy to write down and capture those thoughts.
An article by Jane Porter clearly explains why this can help us tap into our subconscious. (http://www.fastcompany.com/3031227/work-smart/do-these-3-things-before-bed-to-hack-your-creativity-while-you-sleep

Her article is called, “Do These 3 Things before Bed to Hack Your Creative while You Sleep.”
She mentions the neuroplasticity that only happens when the brain is relaxed enough to create new connections and neural pathways. She says that the three-key tumbler for super-charging the creativity within each of us is:
  •  Read something stimulating just before going to bed.
  • Ask yourself the question you would like to resolve, then set it on the back shelf so you can sleep on it.
  •  Encourage lucid dreaming. Or in other words… plan to take advantage of the freedom from reality in dreams, and plan to take control.

I remember many years ago, after watching a movie about people who could control their dreams. I was determined to be able to do the same. I told myself before going to sleep that in the next dream I had, I would have control and be able to fly. It was amazing that after only a few nights, I was able to control – however briefly – the content of my dreams. Inevitably, the sustainability of that control was short-lived.

Wouldn't it be interesting to keep a dream diary, or to write down nightly inspiration as it is fresh in our minds? Much like “counting our blessings” helps us to recognize just how many amazing things we have been blessed with… Keeping a record of our waking thoughts could open doors to more innovation, more creativity of thought, and more neuroplasticity that will awaken and enhance our innovative abilities. I suppose you could call it “Spiritual Doodling.”

Who’s up for change… or… er…. I mean innovation?


No comments: